Dr.Sr.Sheila Kannath CMC
- A teacher – Poet – Critic – and a dedicated nun of The Congregation of Mother of Carmel (CMC).
- Born at Thrissur , Kerala on 15th January 1948.
- The eldest child of Vadakkethala Kannath Antony Master and Ilachal of St.Mary’s Forane parish of Kandassamkadavu.
- Joined the congregation of The Mother of Carmel in 1966.
- Had her education in various institutions including st.Mary’s collegeThrissur,Vimala college Thrissur and Mercy college Palakkad.
- Started her carrier as a junior lecturer at Vimala college ,Thrissur in 1974.And later became a member of the faculty of Mercy College ,Palakkad.
- Took her M.Phil in 1983.
- Awarded Ph.D in 1987 for her thesis ‘The verb phrase in English and Malayalam:A study Based on the New Testament Translations submitted to the University of Kerala.
- Became research guide at the research centre of the department of English Mercy college ,Palakkad.
- Awards and recognitions
*The Best Teacher Award (AIACHE)
*Media Commission Award for Music and Lyrics (KCBC)
*Prof.M.M Ghani Award for the Best College Teacher , (Calicut University).
- Retired from service in 2003.
- Joined after retirement NBCLC, Banglore.
- Continued to compose Devotional songs and Bhajans.
- Spend a year at Vidhya Vanam Ashram,Banglore to persue her ideal of Ascetic life.
- Set Up Carmalavanashramam at Lekkidi,Palakkad to discover the real path of Asceticism.The artists,musicions,dancers,writers,and priests and philosophers frequently gathered there to dwell on deeper realities.
- Faced silently and boldly the many odds that manifested themselves,which discharging her duties and breathed her last on the 15th of August in the year 2009 leaving behind a rich tradition.